Inspirational Thought

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 7:13 NIV

Sunday, April 19, 2009

I'm Here. Really!

Sorry, I've been kind of absent, ladies. I've found myself rather swamped trying to maintain the household...yada, yada...I'm sure you're all familiar with the dilemma.

As I sit here trying to take a couple of minutes to write something about summer, I find myself unable to pick a single summer that was really incredibly--well, incredible.

I didn't attend a lot of summer camps because we used to spend many of our summers one the move with my parents' job.

I remember my first music camp. I had no idea what to do while I was there. I was found wandering about the camp with no clue what I was supposed to be doing, until someone asked me, what I was supposed to be doing. I replied, "I don't know" and with their help I figured out what classes were and what a camp schedule was like.

I remember a camp (don't remember if it was music camp or not) where we girls were settling down to go to sleep when spiders started dropping out of the ceiling. I guess an egg had hatched. I called them white widows, because they were white and had an hour glass on their back. We spent hours swing at them with brooms and spraying them with hairspray.

I remember the summer we spent camping at a campground just outside my parents' new appointment. The house wasn't ready, yet, so we decided to camp until it was time for us to move in. That was a neat summer. We hunted for a camper who'd lost her pet bunny. I shot lots of pool and learned how to do flips on the trampoline.

Probably the most memorable summer was the summer I worked at camp. Camp Newport is situated in Northern Ontario just outside of Huntsville. It has to be one of the most beautiful camps I've ever seen. Large cabins with bathrooms, although if you wanted a shower you had to go to the main building.

That summer, I learned to drive a tractor, I painted cabins and picnic tables; we walked along the highway until about 2am. We watched Sesame Street when we longed for home. I bought a ghettoblaster. It was a summer of spiritual and personal growth, as well as fun.

Anybody else have memories of summer camp?

No comments: