Inspirational Thought

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 7:13 NIV

Monday, January 19, 2009

Homeschooling & Special Needs Kids

Hello! My name is Heather. I am the wife of a wonderful man and mommy to 5 wonderful children. Seven years ago when my oldest was ready for Kindergarten I hesitated. It didn't feel right to send this lovely bubbly very active child off to school. I had already been told that she most likely had ADHD and when she entered school we "would have to do something about it." That meant medication.

The more my husband and I looked into the possibilities open to us, the more homeschooling became a reality. We checked the local christian schools, and the local public schools. In the end it boiled down to, this lovely little girl was our responsibility to raise up and teach. So with a set of workbooks we sat at the kitchen table and began our journey into homeschooling.

Homeschooling has not been easy for my family. As our family grew we began noticing health problems and learning problems. The learning problems cut into my grand plan of raising the next Einstein. I was frustrated and thinking I was the worst homeschooler ever. Instead we came to find out the children had a genetic problem. My children are suspected of suffering from a rare disease called mitochondrial disease. For them this causes learning problems, autism, seizures, muscle tone problems, strokes, terrible fatigue, and a long list of other issues. So you may ask how can you homeschool these kids?

First it is perfectly legal to homeschool special needs children. Second there is a lot of support in the community and medical community to homeschool medically fragile children. I am able to keep up with the sudden health changes faster than an IEP lead public school team. I am better able to allow the children to move along at a wildly uneven pace. My daughter can understand high school level books that are read to her but she struggles horribly with comprehension of a book she has read. While it may not be for everyone I strongly advocate at least looking at the option of homeschooling your child.

My family is progressing. Homeschooling can be hard work. It can also be such a wonderful bonding experience! I know the look of wonder on my child's face after years of frustration with dyslexia she read her first book! The years I have spent homeschooling my children have been profitable. I am proud to be a homeschooling mom!

Heather lives in West Virginia. She and her husband have been homeschooling their 5 children for 7 years. Due to a genetic disorder their children have multiple special needs. Living life to the fullest for the glory of God is their goal! Visit Heather's page at www.homeschoolblogger.com/gfcfmomofmany/
Heather also hosts Special Words for Special Needs

No comments: